Vincent de Boer

Kunstenaar, Kalligraaf, Lettermaker

Discipline: Beeldende kunst

vincentdeboer.nl/

Bio

Vincent de Boer is a typographic artist and a teacher of letter making. Early affirmation provided a solid confidence and a hunger for recognition. Without any doubt in his pieces, there is a legion of borders to cross. Any fresh visual that intrigues the eye, Vincent is interested to acquire. With many layers to a work, there is no such thing as one creative route: the starting point is simply never fixed. Vincent will happily collaborate and start new projects, as long as he is challenged and present throughout his brush strokes.

Going from drawing cartoons, to practicing on painting, illustrating and drawing three-dimensional spaces, to mixing the worlds of calligraphy, graphic design and typography all together: what you see is a cooperation of image and letter. The viewer zooms in on a gigantic universe of movement and dives all the way in. As long as it crackles, as long as it’s real: Vincent’s work embodies his craftsmanship. He’s fascinated by what’s been done in ancient artistries, but never afraid to break the ‘rules’. A precise years and years of mastering his skill, shaken about with an expressionistic use of pencil and a strong will to challenge himself. His autonomous pieces always evocative, but aesthetically so.

With numerous exhibitions and a bunch of awards under his belt, exploring new techniques and discovering unfamiliar terrains are deemed highly significant. Keep learning, keep digging. Vincent doesn’t do dishonesty. What he craves is a fine balance between provoking and pleasing the viewer. What is aesthetically attractive but not too easily satisfying? Vincent creates a different world, right in that moment, taking you in. Competitive, defiant, calm, bold, open, expressive, initiating, forward, playful. Meet his perspective.

(text by Imme Visser)

Shelters Soesterberg

Meer locaties

Deelnemers locatie

Van dezelfde locatie

Social

Instagram feed

Artist in Residence Japan! ⁣ ⁣⁣ ⁣The coming 3 months I will be in Tokyo and Sapporo. Many thanks goes out to the K.F. Hein Fund and Kwadraat Fund. Also to AtypI, that is hosting a calligraphy performance by me during AtypI Tokyo on 4-7 Sept. I will keep you posted via Instagram. Read the full text below.⁣ ⁣⁣ ⁣@kfhein @fonds_kwadraat @atypi_org #vincentdeboer #artistinresidence #japan #tokyo #sapporo ⁣ ⁣⁣ ⁣Since the end of last year I have been working with the K.F. Hein Fund to develop an Artist in Residence plan for Japan. I’m going to Japan for three months, from the beginning of September to the beginning of December. In these months I will make contacts, learn, present, make new works and exhibit. The collaboration with the K.F. Hein Fund was based on a mutual understanding of how my art practice can draw on Japanese contemporary art and the calligraphy tradition. In my art practice I experiment with an autonomous contemporary interpretation of a centuries-old craft, resulting in a field of tension between two extremes. For the fund this is a pilot to explore whether they want to enter into such collaborations with artists more often.⁣ ⁣⁣ ⁣I will stay in Tokyo for a month for studio and exhibition visits and a demonstration during the 63rd edition of the international AtypI conference, then I will stay for two months in Sapporo, at Hokkaido, for a work period in a studio and an exhibition. Through a blog on the website of the K.F. Hein Fund and social media you can stay informed about the developments!⁣ ⁣⁣ ⁣After returning to Utrecht there will be an artist talk at the fund, this will be reported later.⁣ ⁣⁣ ⁣(Photo Credits: ? @typetersburg help me out)⁣ ⁣

1 maand geleden